Stretch Marks: Discover effective 5 best creams, methods to Prevent, Treat and Heal Stretch marks-Say Goodbye to Stretch Marks forever : Stretch marks are a common skin issue that primarily affects women and those who are overweight. It occurs when the skin is stretched beyond its limit, causing tears in the dermis, the middle layer of skin. Stretch marks can be unsightly and cause self-consciousness, but they do not pose any health risks.
This article will explore the most effective methods for preventing, treating, and healing stretch marks, based on research studies.
Table of Contents
How to prevent stretch Marks
Stretch mark prevention is always preferable to stretch mark treatment. Here are some research-backed tips to prevent stretch marks from occurring:
- Keep your skin hydrated: Drinking enough water and regular moisturiser can help keep your skin supple and less prone to stretch marks. According to the International Journal study, using a moisturiser containing hyaluronic acid, a chemical that occurs naturally in the body and aids in moisture retention, can increase skin suppleness and lessen the visibility of stretch marks.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Because rapid weight increase or decrease can result in stretch marks, it is critical to maintain a healthy weight through a well-balanced diet and frequent exercise. A study published in nutrisense.io [i] discovered that Overweight and obese people were more prone to have stretch marks than normal-weight people.
- Massage: Regular massaging of your skin can help improve blood flow and increase its elasticity, making it less prone to stretch marks. Some studies found that pregnant women who received massage therapy during pregnancy had a lower incidence of stretch marks than those who did not.
- Use sunscreen: Sun damage can weaken the skin and increase the possibility of stretch marks. Thus, using sunscreen daily to protect your skin from UV rays is critical. Sun exposure was revealed to be a significant risk factor for getting stretch marks.
Skin Tightening Foods: 5 Best Foods for face and skin
Ceramide Moisturizer Benefits, Precaution & 5 Best Ceramide Moisturizer in India
Treatment for Stretch Marks
If you already have stretch marks, several treatment options are available to reduce their appearance. Here are some research-backed treatments for stretch marks:
- Retinoid creams: Retinoid creams are a type of vitamin A that can help to reduce the visibility of stretch marks by increasing collagen production and improving skin elasticity. A study published in the National Library of Medicine found that topical application of tretinoin, a type of retinoid, improved the appearance of stretch marks in pregnant women[ii].
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a technique that removes the outer layer of skin using a specific equipment, which can help improve the appearance of stretch marks. A study published on Springer.com found that microdermabrasion was an effective treatment for reducing the appearance of stretch marks[iii].
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy is a procedure that uses a laser to stimulate collagen production and improve skin elasticity, which helps to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. A study published in the National Library of Medicine found that laser therapy effectively reduced the appearance of stretch marks.[iv]
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels use a special solution to remove the outer layer of skin, which can help improve to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. A study published on Researchgate.net found that chemical peels were an effective treatment for reducing the appearance of stretch marks.[v]
How to Heal Stretch Marks Naturally
While it may not be possible to eliminate stretch marks completely, there are several methods to help them heal and become less noticeable. Here are some research-backed ways to heal stretch marks:
- Vitamin E oil: Vitamin E oil is known for its healing properties and can help reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Some research studies have shown that a topical application of vitamin E improved the appearance of stretch marks in 34.8% of the study participants.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is a natural plant extract that is known for its soothing and healing properties. As per the study in the International Journal of Health and Pharmaceutical found that application of aloe vera gel reduced the appearance of stretch marks in 95% of the study participants[vi].
- Centella Asiatica: Centella Asiatica, popularly known as Gotu kola, is a plant extract that has been used to treat skin issues in traditional medicine for generations. A study published in Esperienze Dermatologiche found that a topical application of a cream containing Centella Asiatica extracts improved the appearance of stretch marks.
5 Best Creams for Stretch Marks
Aside from the natural remedies mentioned above, several creams on the market can help reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Based on research, here are some of the top stretch mark creams:
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil
Bio-Oil is a popular skincare oil that claims to improve stretch marks appearance. It contains a blend of vitamins and natural oils that nourish and hydrate the skin. This oil is also great for reducing the appearance of scars, uneven skin tone, and ageing skin.
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy is a lotion intended to diminish stretch marks’ appearance. It has a distinct combination of chemicals that improve skin texture, tone, and elasticity. This cream also contains no parabens, or perfumes, making it suitable for all skin types.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion is a popular choice among women looking to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. It is enriched with natural ingredients, including cocoa butter, vitamin E, and shea butter, that help to nourish and hydrate the skin. This lotion is also great for reducing the appearance of scars and uneven skin tone.
StriVectin SD Advanced Plus Intensive Moisturizing Concentrate
StriVectin SD Advanced Plus Intensive Moisturizing Concentrate is a powerful serum that is designed to improve the appearance of stretch marks and wrinkles. It contains a unique blend of peptides, NIA-114, and collagen-boosting agents that work together to firm and smooth the skin. This serum is also great for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
SkinCeuticals Body Tightening Concentrate
SkinCeuticals Body Tightening Concentrate is a highly effective serum that is designed to improve the appearance of stretch marks and sagging skin. It contains natural ingredients, including caffeine, hyaluronic acid and Centella Asiatica, that work together to firm and tone the skin. This serum is also great for reducing the appearance of cellulite and improving skin texture.
Precaution for pregnant women and lactating mothers
Stretch mark creams and peels can effectively prevent and treat stretch marks. However, taking some precautions during pregnancy and while breastfeeding is important. Consult your healthcare provider, use natural products, avoid certain ingredients, and use products sparingly to ensure the safety of the mother and baby. By following these guidelines, pregnant women and lactating mothers can safely use stretch mark creams and peels to improve the appearance of their skin.
Many creams and serums in the market claim to reduce stretch marks, but not all of them deliver results. The products on this list are clinically proven to improve the appearance of stretch marks and are highly recommended by users. Whether you prefer a natural oil, a cream, or a serum, a product on this list will work for you. Remember patience and consistency when using these products, as it can take time to see results. With regular use, you can reduce the appearance of stretch marks and achieve smoother, more radiant skin.
[ii] Kang S, Kim KJ, Griffiths CE, Wong TY, Talwar HS, Fisher GJ, Gordon D, Hamilton TA, Ellis CN, Voorhees JJ. Topical tretinoin (retinoic acid) improves early stretch marks. Arch Dermatol. 1996 May;132(5):519-26. PMID: 8624148.
[iv] McDaniel DH. Laser therapy of stretch marks. Dermatol Clin. 2002 Jan;20(1):67-76, viii. doi: 10.1016/s0733-8635(03)00046-9. PMID: 11859595.
[vi] Awal Permata, F., and R. . Khairiah. “The Effectiveness Of Using Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera And Sirih Kapur To Prevent Striae Gravidarum In Third Trimester Pregnant Women In The Working Area Of The Cilograng Health Center In 2022”. International Journal of Health and Pharmaceutical (IJHP), vol. 3, no. 4, Mar. 2023, pp. 420-5, doi:10.51601/ijhp.v3i4.237.