Magnesium Health Benefits, Needs, Food Source, supplements, Daily Intake and all Info: Why do we need magnesium?, Importance of Magnesium, Health Benefits of Magnesium, The best food sources of magnesium, Deficiency of Magnesium and related symptoms, Recommended daily intake of magnesium, Magnesium in Food, sources of magnesium, foods containing magnesium, Best magnesium supplements, Top 10 Magnesium Supplements. You’ll get all queries answers in our post Today. So Keep reading and don’t forget to give your feedback though comment box at the end.
Our body requires several minerals for the proper functioning of every system inside it, both in big and small quantities. There are seven macrominerals (minerals required in larger quantities) that are quite essential and magnesium is one of those. We need it in relatively large amounts (around 100 mgs in a day). Many diseases related to bones and cardiovascular system can be avoided, if magnesium consumption is adequate.
Magnesium Health Benefits
Here we have some of the health benefits of magnesium. Take a look.
1. Magnesium for Improves bone health
When talking about bone formation, calcium is the very first mineral that comes to our minds. But along with calcium, magnesium also plays an important role as it helps in assimilating calcium in the bones. In addition to this, magnesium also activates Vitamin D, which is essential for the bone health.
Therefore, optimal magnesium intake is essential for a greater bone density, improved crystal formation in bones, and a lower risk of osteoporosis in women after menopause.
2. Magnesium lower the risk of diabetes
An adequate intake of magnesium is linked with a lower risk of diabetes. This is because it plays an important role in the metabolism of carbohydrates and glucose. Various studies have shown that for every 100 mg increase in magnesium consumption per day, the risk of developing type 2 diabetes decreases by 15% approximately. Studies also suggest an improvement in insulin sensitivity with consumption of around 300 to 365 mg of magnesium per day.
3. Magnesium Improve heart health
When it comes to heart health, then magnesium again plays an important role in two ways. It helps in improving the strength of cardiovascular muscles and also helps in transmitting electrical signals in the body. If magnesium is consumed adequately, then you are at a lower risk of high BP, Hypertension, and abdominal as well as coronary artery calcification.
Researchers have significantly associated higher magnesium levels in the blood with a lower risk of heart diseases.
4. Relieves anxiety, magnesium for anxiety
Whether there are certain changes in the processing of magnesium or there is reduction in the levels of magnesium, each of these factors is linked to increase in anxiety levels. Both of these aspects show related activity in hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) glands that manages your reactions to stress.
According to a research, a low magnesium diet changes he good bacteria of the gut that shows an impact on anxiety-based behavior.
Best magnesium supplement, Top 10 Magnesium Supplements –buy here
Deficiency of Magnesium and related symptoms
Deficiency of magnesium is quite rare and its affects are usually seen in older people. It is generally caused due to excess alcohol consumption, health issues like gastrointestinal disorder, as well as the use of certain medications.
The common symptoms include:
- · Appetite loss
- · Nausea and vomiting
- · Tiredness and weakness
- · Numbness and tingling
- · Muscle cramps and seizures
- · Changes in personality
- · Changes in heart rhythm
Insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, coronary heart disease and osteoporosis diseases are often linked with magnesium deficiency. This is because low levels of magnesium often lead to low calcium and low potassium level in blood.
Recommended daily intake of magnesium
Your age and gender are taken into account when it comes to Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for magnesium.
Among kids from 1 to 14 years of age the RDA is as follows:
- · 80 mg per day for kids from 1 to 3 years.
- · 130 mg per day for kids from 4 to 8 years.
- · 240 mg per day for kids from 9 to 13 years.
A male and female requires different dosage after 14 years. The RDA is as follows:
- · 410 mg per day aged between 14 to 18 years
- · 400 to 420 mg per day for those above 19 years.
- · 360 mg per day for females aged from 14 to 18 years
- · 310 to 320 mg a day for those above 19 years
- · A daily dosage of 350 to 400 mg is required for pregnant women
- · 310 o 360 mg is required by women during breast feeding
Recommended daily intake of magnesium
Every mineral is best consumed in the most natural form possible. Nuts and seeds are among the best sources of magnesium. Others include dark green veggies, whole grains, and legumes. Various fortified foods and breakfast cereals also contain magnesium as one of important mineral.
Magnesium in Food, sources of magnesium, foods containing magnesium,Magnesium Health Benefits
Listed below are some of the rich sources of magnesium along with the amount that a cup of it would contain. Take a look.
- A cup of dry and roasted sunflower seeds contains 512 mg of magnesium.
- 420 mg of magnesium is included in a cup of dry and roasted almonds.
- An ounce of roasted sesame seeds contains 101 mg of magnesium.
- A cup of boiled spinach include 78 mg amount of magnesium.
- 1 ounce of dry roasted cashews would contain 74 mg of magnesium.
- A cup of plain soymilk contains 61 mg magnesium.
- A cup of cooked black beans includes 120 mg of magnesium
- A cup of shelled and cooked edamame includes 100 mg of magnesium
- 82 mg of magnesium is included in a cup of cooked black-eyed peas.
- A cup of cooked brown rice includes 84 mg of magnesium.
When choosing cereals and bread products, it is important that you choose those made of whole grains. This is because as the wheat is refined, magnesium is lost.
Consuming an adequate amount of magnesium is important for everyone to maintain a good health. Therefore, when it comes to make a food choice, you must choose healthy and choose wisely.